Northern Governorates of Jordan:Immediate Measures for Improvement of Water Supply in Northern Jordan directed to Syrian Refugees
- Procurement of technical equipment and spare parts to strengthen the operational services of YWC and WAJ.
- Rehabilitation of existing wells, primarily in the Eastern wellfields of Northern Jordan and installation of electro-mechanical equipment at existing boreholes for the cost-efficient operation of wells.
- Rehabilitation of selected pipe sections or tertiary distribution networks in the water supply network to increase the network capacity under energy efficient considerations.
- Preparation of tender documents in accordance with the KfW “Guidelines for Procurement in Financial Cooperation with Developing Countries”, applicable FIDIC conditions for works, and in compliance with the approved implementation concept.
Dorsch International Consultants GmbH
Phone: +49 89 5797-0
Fax: +49 89 5797-800
The shortcomings in the water supply in the Northern Governorates of Jordan are caused by general problems of the sector, including overaged and overloaded pipe networks and limited and overstressed water resources. The situation deteriorated in the recent years due to increased population in the area mainly the high number of hosted refugees. The components of the project are therefore directed to improving the water supply situation in Northern Jordan in general, but with certain focus on areas, hosting higher numbers of Syrian refugees.
The project components are as follows:
- Component 1: Rehabilitation and upgrading of wells and drilling of replacement wells
- Component 2: Network rehabilitation and reduction of real losses
- Component 3: Procurement and supply of equipment and goods
As a result, the project contributes to increasing the percentage of population with access to safely managed drinking water services, thus substantially reducing the number of deaths and illnesses from exposure to unsafe water; reducing water losses and improving water distribution which in turn saves energy and contributes to climate change mitigation; and strengthening and operational capacities of WAJ.